My second experience with OpenOffice V3 Macros

My first impression had been that those sample Macros provided together with OpenOffice V3 simply don’t work – no matter whether they are written in Python, Javascript or BeanShell.

Today I spent some more minutes trying to debug the HelloWorld Javascript macro. It turned out that it started okay – thus no general problem with the environment – and got to the statement marked in screen shot below:

The error message said: “Cannot read text property getText from null”. What I forgot to mention in my previous posting was that I attempted to run that macro from the OO Spreadsheet Application. The error message itself triggered the suspicion that it might work when using the OO Text Document Application. And as a matter of fact – it does – for all three HelloWorld macros:

The Macro Organizer in OO provides all macros in all applications, no matter whether they would work there correctly. A method like getText() works okay for a text document, but not for a spreadsheet. A nice feature would be if only those macros would be made available in a particular application which are capable to work there. Anyway – there is room for hope now to get more done with OO V3 Macros !


One Response to “My second experience with OpenOffice V3 Macros”

  1. My third experience with OpenOffice V3 Macros « Axel’s Travelog Says:

    […] with OpenOffice V3 Macro has been a complete failure I investigated a little further and made a second experience: here I learned that the sample macros provided do work – but only for text documents, not for […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: